“A superior modern design of a traditional tool”
“Wow! That was fast! The spokeshaves arrived yesterday, and I picked them up from the Post Office a few minutes ago. I have had a little play, and I am a happy man. I have one of your travishers which just blew me away, and I can see I am going to have as much fun with these spokeshaves. So, thank you very much for the speedy delivery, and for the hard work you have put in to developing these tools.” BH Australia September
Professional Windsor chairmaker James Mursell makes these wooden spokeshaves individually. He developed the designs through trial and error and constant use in his workshop. These tools are designed for optimum performance and pleasure of use, and are not mass-produced tools made to a price.
Key features of these wooden spokeshaves:
- Hard maple wooden bodies ergonomically shaped to fit comfortably in the hand while pushing and pulling
No compromise high-carbon toolsteel blades from Ron Hock (US) and Ben Orford (UK – travisher)
Unique body shapes eject shavings through the top of the tool leaving the back surface entire. This allows the blade to be supported along its whole length, reducing chatter and providing the ideal position for the tool to be pushed, directly behind the cutting edge.
- Precision adjustment: the bodies are cnc machined to accept the blades and their depth can be adjusted by screwing in and out grub screws that pass directly through the body. Micro-adjustment is easily made, without the need to remove the blade, to achieve the perfect setting.
- Heavy brass wear plates: each spokeshave is fitted with a heavy brass wear plate in front of the blade. Under normal use the spokeshave will last a lifetime (and probably more!
- Travisher: a specialist curved wooden spokehave for hollowing wood and in particular Windsor chair seats. As with the more conventional straight-bladed shaves the body makes the tool very comfortable to use. This tool will both remove stock quickly and with no change of setting be capable of creating a remarkably smooth surface.
- Kits: all the tools featured on this site can be purchased either ready-to-use or as kits. The blades are of exactly the same quality as the completed tools. The hard maple blanks are CNC machined and are supplied with the blades already fitted, leaving the purchaser to shape the rest of the body. The kits offer a significant cost saving and the satisfaction of making your own tool.
Wooden spokeshaves have been in use for centuries. First developed by wheelwrights to shape the spokes of wheels these versatile tools are useful in most branches of woodworking. These tools are special because the blade is held at a low angle allowing it to slice easily through wood in the same way as a low-angle block plane. The blades also have a longer cutting edge than most metal spokeshaves, meaning a longer time between sharpening.
Wooden spokeshaves can be made to any size that will fit in the hands. However the small and medium shaves on offer on this site will satisfy almost all needs for detailed work and stock removal.